EU TRAVEL Requirements

Leaving the EU has altered the requirements for taking our motorhomes abroad. 'Green Cards' come with each of our vehicles. Green Cards however will not be required from the 1st August 2021. If this status changes we will advise accordingly at the time of your hire. Beyond this, please see information below for other requirements you need to be aware of...

Documentation required for your EU travel:


UK motorists travelling abroad in a UK registered vehicle must carry a vehicle registration document (VRD).

As you will be in one of our hired vehicles we can not unfortunately release the original V5C. In this instance a 'Vehicle on Hire' certificate is required. This must be carried by you on your hire in lieu of not having the original VRD.

This certificate is known as a VE103 and will need to be applied for a couple of weeks before your date of departure. Whittams will arrange this for you having all the relevant information on the vehicle. The cost of this application will be £25.00 which includes the certificate application cost plus a small admin fee.

The application is done through the RAC. To read their details on the VE103 please use the link below...

'Vehicle on Hire Certificate | Application Form | RAC Drive'

International Driving Permit (IDP).

If you have a photocard driving licence an IPD is not required for short journeys abroad.

The exception to this is for people who only have a paper licence, in which case an IPD should be purchased. This is also the case for licences that have been issued in Isle of Man, Jersey, Gibraltar and Guernsey.

You need to make sure you have the right type of IPD for the country you are travelling in. Most branches of the Post Office will provide all types of IPD.



Please read below for helpful travel tips provided by our insurers. These are not meant to scare or put you off your travel plans but is simply precautionary advice to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable time away on your European adventure. If you have any queries on these we will be more than happy to discuss them with you prior to your departure:

Safety travel tips for your European adventure:

Tip 1.

Only stop in well-lit areas.


Tip 2.

Only park in designated and secure areas where possible.


Tip 3.

Make sure all doors and windows are locked at all times.


Tip 4.

Remove vehicle keys from the ignition when not in use and keep on your person.


Tip 5.

Carry out periodic inspections under the vehicle in order to keep an eye out for stowaways, it is now a legal requirement to check for any stowaways when coming back to the UK.


Tip 6.

Try to avoid filling up at service stations within 30km of port to avoid any potential stowaways gaining access to the vehicle.


Tip 7.

Try not to be distracted by passers-by or obstacles that make you leave the van unattended as this distraction method has been used to steal vehicles.


Tip 8.

Avoid leaving the van open if outside in the event of a breakdown, puncture or alike.


Tip 9.

Stay only on a dedicated campsite and preferably not in a lay-by or motorway services due to occurrences of knock out gas being used through vents to incapacitate occupants.

Contact Us

Hassle free planning without guess work

contact us here